Monday, June 09, 2008

She's Come Undone, The Thirteenth Tale, The Chronicles of Narnia

"She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb reminded me of "Running with Scissors" that I felt like I had to hide the book while I read it on an airplane because I was embarrassed by the subject matter. The main character in the book, a girl, had a disfunctional childhood, not as crazy as Augusten Burroughs, but very similar. Despite the love affair details, the book overall was a good page turner as you tried to find out if the girl actually ever really found herself.

"The Thirteenth Tale," by Dianne Setterfield started off slow for me. There was so much descriptive writing and musings by the main character. However, if you hang with it, the book turns into a real "page-turner." An antique book seller and a reclusive writer come together in a tale to discover the secrets behind the writer's past. Written in the true "Gothic" style, the book itself becomes the writer's thirteen tale.

"The Chronicles of Narnia, The Magician's Nephew" and "The Horse and His Boy," are the only two books of seven that I have read so far. We are missing "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe," but I feel that I have seen the movie so many times that it doesn't really matter if I read the book now. However, anyone who has not read the first book, "The Magician's Nephew," will thoroughly enjoy this introduction to Narnia and it explains a few things about the "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

No comments: